WBCE CMS Forum

WBCE CMS – Way Better Content Editing.

Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 30.12.2015 18:20:56

rjgamer
Developer

Bootstrap as Standard for BE

Hi,

I am on road and using a mobile device. So sorry for my short text.

But like my thread title said, please integrate a CSS/HTML framework as a Standard for the backend. Only with a framework as a standard you can serve a module and developer wide designstyle for WBCE in the backend!

I will write more reasons after my holidays. But please discus about it! It is my favorit feature request for V1.2
and would open a new great UX in the BE for our customers and template designers out there.

rjgamer

#2 30.12.2015 18:22:52

florian
Administrator

Re: Bootstrap as Standard for BE

Maybe, but I guess Bootstrap won't do it. There is not a single "old" module which works without problems with bootstrap.

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#3 30.12.2015 18:48:48

rjgamer
Developer

Jap, every module need a rewrite of the view. But new and updated modules will have a greater design after that...!! New steps are needed for a better cms than wb classic!

Beitrag geändert von rjgamer (30.12.2015 19:40:17)

#4 30.12.2015 20:58:51

norhei
Developer

After 1.2.x  (Which contains the features needed for new modules)
New modules will 
1. get a template selector for default themes so module author can offer several default themes.
2. Page Templates will get the option of defining their own templates for modules.
    That way it does no longer matter if you use bootstrap or whatever .

So if a module does not support Bootstrap, write your own template for it and either the module author is happy to add this to its standard selection, or you simply add it to the template.
The maintainance Mode templates are a small outlook of whats comming.

Bootstrap is a cool system , but making it the only one supported main framework is simply not necessary and not fair. Just think how happy you would be if we decide that Foundation is the best possible solution and anything has to be done in Foundation.

Some of the Principles of WBCE is freedom , freedom to use whatever you like , and it should just function :-)
So we simply cannot tell Module authors to do their modules in this or that templateengine, CSS framework or whatever. But we can try to offer a bunch of good tools to support all/most  of those tools, and thats what we trying to do.

#5 30.12.2015 21:14:12

rjgamer
Developer

Ok, not my way I would do it. Because without standards you will get allways a ghetto with the views of the different moduls from different developers.

I want to create a new great, responsive and modern BE template for WBCE somedays, but how if every modul dev is creating different html structures for table lists or forms in their moduls?

Argos seems to say something similar...

#6 31.12.2015 00:06:46

grindbatzn
Gast

There are NOT that much Twitter Bootstrap Fans out there. OK, some love, Some hate it, the very most people dont care about it. Twitter Bootstrap  isnt that easy to use. Expectations are high, but most things aren't Bootstrap but jQuery.

#7 31.12.2015 01:43:00

florian
Administrator

@rjgamer: See the trouble with the Bootbaker FE template. I can't use any of the old slider/gallery modules, navigation breaks on mobile devices, social share does not work properly (we *have* likes, but they are not counted...), content may not to be too long etc... yeah, very great framework indeed. Not.
Yes, we need standards, but we do not need bloated frameworks like Bootstrap which make everything more complicated than necessary. It will become hard enough to renew only a minimum of most needed modules anyhow, so we absolutely should avoid making this even harder to do this by WB-classic-like stupid "standards".
Sorry for my harsh words, but I'm fed up with this Bootstrap discussion every now and when. Its about the third time this topic comes up here.

#8 31.12.2015 07:52:28

rjgamer
Developer

Sorry mate, but your facts about bootbaker are bugs of wrong configurations and has nothing todo with bootstrap!

I see you dont like bootstrap but you didnt work with it too. So dont lie it is bloated, this is a stupid fact. The framework is modularized and each feature can be excluded!

Go your planned way, but I would be more happy with standards or an other html framework too.

Beitrag geändert von rjgamer (31.12.2015 07:53:26)

#9 31.12.2015 09:01:22

florian
Administrator

Topic closed due to personal insult.

#10 31.12.2015 16:05:32

norhei
Developer

Sorry, i need to have a last word on this.
What i have learned from this is that it would make a lot of sense to offer the same templating options for the backend. I am not sure how to achieve this but i am sure i find a way. (Actually i already have some ideas)

So in other words, we can not and will not force someone to use Bootstrap or TWIG or whatever but we want to give you your oppotunity to create all in one Bootstrap BE at least for new modules.  Old unmaintained module need to be moved to use basic templating first as many of em simply use a mixed PHP/HTML construct.

Simply demanding .. "do anything in Bootstrap for me" is a way that can not work. The next guy shows up and says "do anything in Foundation for me ".
And the next one says "Smarty is the best Template Engine and you have to use that".  We cannot change everything when someone shows up and say "X is better than Y" this would lead to absolute nowhere.  What we can do is listen carefully to what people say and then make a decision. (Like moving TEs to Modules so anyone can its own if he like)

So i see you want more and easy Bootstrap suport, i think thats not a bad idea. But as i already stated somewhere else we all got a limited amount of time , so possibly we won't do it for You . If you really want to have a  nice Bootstrap BE theme then the best way would be to contact me via PM , and we will see what you can do to let this happen. There are quite a lot of things that still need to be done .

Just a few examples:
Moving old modules to use templating at all (so templates can be exanged, for example to use Boootstrap)
Adding a bootstrap Template for this modules. 
Moving the BE parts to use real exachangeable templating , not just PHPplib.
See if those Templates can be made bootstrap compatible whithout producing garbage whitout Bootstrap. (Thats a way where Bootstrap is even thinkable as a default )   
Figure out how to use Colorbox whith bootstrap or maybe offer an Bootstrap alternative.

And please , please relax a bit.

Now closing this, hopefully waiting for your PM .

Fußzeile des Forums

up