WBCE CMS Forum

WBCE CMS – Way Better Content Editing.

Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 09.02.2020 23:26:42

losttrip
Mitglied

News With Image NWI details page shows other page sections

I am sure I have read about this in the past, but I can not find any info now.

I have a page with the following sections:
WYSIWYG
NWI overview
SectionPicker

When you click Read More on any of the NWI posts, the Details page shows the following:
WYSIWYG
NWI details post
Sectionpicker

Is there a way to isolate the NWI details post, so that it shows without the other sections?

#2 10.02.2020 02:16:47

losttrip
Mitglied

Re: News With Image NWI details page shows other page sections

I finally found "a" solution - https://forum.wbce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3337   *...

... and although it is a useful hack to know about, it has disadvantages / limitations:

1. Section picker does not bring module css with it, from my understanding.  And

2. it assumes that you want the hard-coded sectionpicker sections to ALWAYS appear in the same location in your design.  This is not always the case, as in my design, where these sections appear in the sidebar on larger viewports, and then above and below the main column section ONLY on smaller mobile viewports. (using CSS Grid)

I'm curious why the detail post view would be built to appear inline with other sections on the page by default, as opposed to the default being the detail posts appearing clearly on their own.

As it stands, if it has to be done with a hack, I would rather find a hack that will hide all "other" sections on the post detail pages, than I would want to use a hack that forces you to hide pages and then allow them to be displayed on the post overview page.

I hope this is understandable.  I would be happy to clarify if necessary.

*  (Wasn't easy as Google Translate does not function through Search on this forum.  An aside, I used to have an auto translation addon which allowed me to seemlesly utilize this forum as if it were all in English (without having to do anything, I set it to auto translate this URL and I could forget about it), but it has been banned (spying issues from what I can determine) so now it is painful to use the forum, especially when searching.)

#3 10.02.2020 07:33:17

florian
Administrator

Of course it's a "hack" with disadvantages. For more complex designs, you have to use NWI anywhere.

I'm curious why the detail post view would be built to appear inline with other sections on the page by default, as opposed to the default being the detail posts appearing clearly on their own.

Opposed to which default ?
The appearance of NWI posts as described is the default behavoir since the beginning and it is the same like at News classic, Topics posts, Bakery items, OneForAll Items, its the same there. The post display always appears in the section where the overview appears, and if on the overview page other sections appear before / behind / aside the NWI/News/Bakery/Topics/OfA section, they appear on ihe detail page as well.

I  did not change anything to the forum configuration, I don't know why the translation tool yo were using does not work any more.

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#4 11.02.2020 03:03:31

losttrip
Mitglied

florian schrieb:

Of course it's a "hack" with disadvantages. For more complex designs, you have to use NWI anywhere.

It was not my intention to imply "hack" as a bad thing.  I should have used "work around" or "approach".  Sorry, poor choice of words.  I did mean it when I said it was "useful".  It just isn't usable in my particular situation.  And yes, you're right, because of that, I will have to find a custom solution that works for my case, and NWI Anywhere might be the best fit.

florian schrieb:

Opposed to which default ?
The appearance of NWI posts as described is the default behavoir since the beginning and it is the same like at News classic, Topics posts, Bakery items, OneForAll Items, its the same there. The post display always appears in the section where the overview appears, and if on the overview page other sections appear before / behind / aside the NWI/News/Bakery/Topics/OfA section, they appear on ihe detail page as well.

Again, I was not putting down the module, or trying to single it's functionality out.  I know this is the behaviour with all the modules you mentioned.  I was trying to achieve a result, which is not achievable with this module, at least not the way I was implementing it.  This is not the module's fault... it's mine.  My apologies, again.

florian schrieb:

I  did not change anything to the forum configuration, I don't know why the translation tool yo were using does not work any more.

This translation issue has nothing to do with this forum.  I had a translation addon (S3.Google Translator) installed on my browser which seemlesly translated on the fly.  I've been using it for years, and it's allowed me to utilize this great forum (my home page, by the way).  One day a notice appeared that the addon was deactivated and removed from the addons page because of "stats collection".  I'm hoping they can work something out.  I am currently trying other browsers and translation options.

Keep up the great work!

#5 11.02.2020 09:54:32

webbird
Administrator

I have to admit that I have also thought about this peculiarity, because it is not necessarily useful everywhere. However, it is more a functionality of the core than a feature of the module. The module only decides what to display based on the call parameters - within the complete page context. Especially in combination with keyword filtering, this is sometimes not very useful, because the results for global keywords can span several pages. But I have not found a solution.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Ich habe eine Amazon-Wishlist. wink Oder spende an das Projekt.
Ich kann, wenn ich will, aber wer will, dass ich muss, kann mich mal

#6 11.02.2020 15:41:39

florian
Administrator

@losttrip
Thank you for clarification, I think I have choosen to harsh words too.
So about the section picker hack/workaround: the new section picker droplet which is shipped in new installations of WBCE (but not in updates, since existing droplets are not overwritten to avoid any loss of changes applied to the droplets by the users) is afaik able to load the necessary CSS / JS files. I've attached it to this post.

Alternatives to displaying module details inline: Create usual pages for that kind of content. Take the WYSIWIG2 module as a starting point to create a taylormade content module with text fields, file uploads etc. according to your needs, customize the htt files to display the information in the frontend, and develop a droplet or code2 section to generate an overview page from the information stored in the database. This is quite an effort, but gives you all the freedom of design.

About S3 Translator: I stumbled upon the support forum about that plugin, it actually seems to collect personal data and sends it to 3rd party servers. So you really should better get rid of it...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic … &start=615

Beitrag geändert von florian (11.02.2020 15:41:58)

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#7 11.02.2020 17:12:24

losttrip
Mitglied

Thank you both for your replies.

I find myself repeating patterns of desiring functionality, questioning why something functions the way it does and not the way I want it to, and then getting objective viewpoints from others, which brings everything into focus for me.

When I take the time to step back, I realize there are just too many variables for a module to be able to be everything for everybody.  The NWI module does what it is meant to do, beautifully.  I've relies on the old News module (WB days) and NWI on so many projects, I should be grateful, not critical.  It's my job to find a way to bring it into my web design flow.  NWI Anywhere will allow me to do this.

Thank you!

Liked by:

florian

#8 11.02.2020 18:40:26

webbird
Administrator

It is always good to hear how others use a module and which problems / desires come up. Some things have a reason and some simply did not show up before. Discussing helps to clarify which is the case. big_smile
We have a little barrier of language here, so some words may sound rude while they are not meant as an offend. In fact, this also happens when we discuss in German. wink

Ich habe eine Amazon-Wishlist. wink Oder spende an das Projekt.
Ich kann, wenn ich will, aber wer will, dass ich muss, kann mich mal

#9 11.02.2020 22:49:55

losttrip
Mitglied

thumb_up

Fußzeile des Forums

up