WBCE CMS Forum

WBCE CMS – Way Better Content Editing.

Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 10.09.2021 04:44:00

losttrip
Mitglied

News with Images - Groups what does Active = No do?

I am trying to get a solid understanding of how Groups function in NWI.  I know how to add a bunch of groups to a NWI section.  I know how to assign one of those groups to a post.

What I don't understand - What happens when you switch a Groups "Active" state to "no".  I see the Active eye turn red on the Groups list page, but I can still assign that group to posts, and those posts still show.  What does this Active setting do?  Is there some detailed manual I can read for this module?

Thank you.

#2 10.09.2021 06:44:19

florian
Administrator

Re: News with Images - Groups what does Active = No do?

can confirm. As far as I see, nowhere any check if a group is activated or not is implemented.

Afaik this would need a huge rework of the code, so this can't be fixed fast/easy.
There is no documentation, there are some comments in the source code, but you still need to figure out how the functions work together.

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

Liked by:

losttrip

#3 10.09.2021 08:18:49

webbird
Administrator

I'm sorry for this, I think I simply forgot to implement it... cry I will have a deeper look to see if I can fix it easily or just remove that option to avoid irritation. Thank you for reporting!

https://github.com/WBCE/News-with-Images/issues/86

Beitrag geändert von webbird (10.09.2021 08:20:06)

Ich habe eine Amazon-Wishlist. wink Oder spende an das Projekt.
Ich kann, wenn ich will, aber wer will, dass ich muss, kann mich mal

Liked by:

florian, losttrip

#4 10.09.2021 14:21:27

losttrip
Mitglied

webbird schrieb:

I will have a deeper look to see if I can fix it easily or just remove that option to avoid irritation. Thank you for reporting!

You're welcome!

Out of curiosity, what (do you think) would have been the intended result of switching a group to NOT Active?  Or was that not something that had been fully realized yet?

I wasn't really WANTING to have something happen when switching the Active state, I was merely testing it to see what resulted.  I was actually worried that switching this state might do something unwanted like remove that group status from all posts with that group assigned, or something else problematic.  So, I am honestly relieved that it doesn't have any adverse affect.

If it's current state serves no perceived purpose, it may be better to just remove, as you said, to avoid confusion.

#5 10.09.2021 16:12:28

webbird
Administrator

The only use I can think of is to deactivate (hide) a long list of articles at once. For example, you may have a group named "archived", so you can move articles you wish to archive to that group and hide them all at once, regardless of their individual visibility settings. Of course, this could also be achieved by having a hidden page with NWI to move archived articles to.  smile

Another idea could be to just hide the group header from the output, though I do not have an idea why this would be helpful. (You could also do this with CSS, anyway.)

So yes, at the moment, if no one has a real use case, the easiest solution would be to just hide/remove that option. (Where "hide" means the DB column is still there for later use, so no data gets lost on update.)

Beitrag geändert von webbird (13.09.2021 08:01:56)

Ich habe eine Amazon-Wishlist. wink Oder spende an das Projekt.
Ich kann, wenn ich will, aber wer will, dass ich muss, kann mich mal

#6 05.10.2021 21:54:35

mrbaseman
Developer

webbird schrieb:

The only use I can think of is to deactivate (hide) a long list of articles at once. For example, you may have a group named "archived", so you can move articles you wish to archive to that group and hide them all at once, regardless of their individual visibility settings. Of course, this could also be achieved by having a hidden page with NWI to move archived articles to.

That would have been my expectation, too.

Fußzeile des Forums

up