Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 26.03.2019 20:18:35

losttrip
Mitglied

Responsive Folder Gallery Upload Image

WBCE Version: 1.3.3
PHP Version: 7.1.0
rFG Version: 0.75

I have a couple questions about the image upload.

First, what is the purpose of the three radio buttons to the left of "Do NOT overwrite existing files", as seen in this screen capture:
rFG Upload

And secondly, what are the restrictions on (multiple) image uploads?  If I try to "drag n drop" or click and file upload multiple images, and the total file size exceeds 8MB, I get a red warning - Files: 19, size: 31MB / max 8 MB
I am thinking this is a restriction that could be changed in the php.ini file.  But I am not concerned with this that much, as the warning is there to let you know what happened.

But sometimes I will try to upload a group of images with a total file size below 8MB and the upload does not succeed, AND there is no text warning or explanation.  It just sits on this screen:
rFG fail upload
Then when I check the media folder, only some of the selected images are there.

Please let me know if I need to provide more info.  Thanks!

#2 27.03.2019 07:42:52

florian
Administrator

Re: Responsive Folder Gallery Upload Image

These are all not directly related issues to the the RFG, but depend on the server / PHP configuration. (They are in so far related to RFG, as the RFG has no own uploader, but relies on the standard upload mechanisms unfortunately.)

The restrictions: PHP setting for

• max_execution_time - how long the upload process is allowed to take until the script is stopped*

• max_file_uploads - amount of different files in a single upload process*

• upload_max_filesize - how large a single file being uploaded is allowed to be

* these ones might cause the issues when uploading lots of images.

You can install the System information tool and check the values of these settings.
It depends on your webhoster, if and how you can change these values.

To avoid issues,

• resize images before uploading them

• upload images via FTP to a empty sub directory of /media/rfg-folders and then in the WBCE click on Options/Tools > Sync Database with file system

You can still run into trouble when thousands of images are in the same folder, because then the indexing / thumbnail generating script of RFG runs into a timeout due to max_execution_time or memory_limit. In this case, you have to split the images on different folders / gallery pages. (But think also about the users, usually no one likes to click through hundereds of images.)

Beitrag geändert von florian (27.03.2019 07:44:39)

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#3 28.03.2019 20:12:25

losttrip
Mitglied

I appreciate your reply.  I am aware of the best practices of resizing images before upload... but I can not force clients to follow those.

I am also aware of the php.ini restrictions.

I checked my System info.
max_execution_time    30
max_file_uploads    20
upload_max_filesize    8M

I have continued to test and I can now get this same issue result when trying to upload (I am on a local server) just one specific individual files.
For instance, one file is only 1.3MB.  The upload runs for a couple of seconds and then I get the result I explained above.  The file dimensions are 6000 x 4000 px.
Another file is 2.8MB with dimensions of 5600 x 3800 px.

These are both free (unplash) images, if you want to take a look for yourself.

#4 28.03.2019 21:11:44

grindmobil
Gast

upload_max_filesize is too small.
Usually IT is 32 mb

Most of all: Check the memory limit. This should be 128 mb or more.

Beitrag geändert von grindmobil (28.03.2019 21:14:01)

#5 28.03.2019 22:09:20

losttrip
Mitglied

I increased the upload_max_filesize to 32 mb
...but I don't see why that would matter when I am uploading a single file which is under 2mb?
I tested after that change, and still had the issue.

I think it has to do more with the large dimensions and the resizing.

I did a quick test and the same issue occurs when trying to upload directly in the WBCE Media tab.  But, the file IS uploaded, it's just does not get resized.  It appears in the media folder at it's original 6000 x 4000 px.

Memory limit is/was 128mb
I increased it to 640mb and the issue has resolved, both in the Media Tab and in FG.  The resizing must consume a large amount of memory.  I'll have to experiment to find the lowest/best memory limit for my client's needs.

Thank you for talking me through this.

#6 28.03.2019 22:14:33

losttrip
Mitglied

Back to the first of my original questions.

What is the purpose of these three radio buttons?
fg radio buttons

#7 28.03.2019 22:25:36

grindmobil
Gast

Add  the picture at Position 1, at end, at the Position where You opened the box.

#8 28.03.2019 23:19:45

losttrip
Mitglied

I am editing a FG page in the admin.  I click the Category Title, then click "Modify category details:" as seen here:
modify

If I upload with the first radio button (default), then the image is placed at the top of the list of images.
If I choose the second ("Here") or third radio button the image is placed at the bottom of the list of images.

"Position where You opened the box" - I am unclear what you mean.  Sorry.

Beitrag geändert von losttrip (28.03.2019 23:20:28)

#9 29.03.2019 06:49:01

florian
Administrator

can you enable PHP error reporting? Then a message might be displayed, showing how much memory was tried to be allocated and how much memory is available.
The backend screenshot - there seem to be some other issues, between the lines under Modify category details there should be displayed a similiar dialogue box  like in the frontend. Please press F12 and switch to the browser console and check if any JS errors are listed.

Generally spoken, the easiest way to avoid issues is: images should be resized before upload. It's not difficult at all, and you don't need expensive software for this. There are lots of tools which even allow batch processing for image resizing.
In most cases, there is neither need nor advantage to upload huge files with a resolution of thousands of pixels.

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#10 29.03.2019 21:14:59

losttrip
Mitglied

The backend screenshot - there seem to be some other issues, between the lines under Modify category details there should be displayed a similiar dialogue box  like in the frontend.

The dialogue box appears when I click the "Modify Category Details:" link (toggles on and off with this link).  Is this not the way it is supposed to function?

I enabled PHP error reporting.  When I open the fg page and click "Modify Category Details:" I see the following:
fg php

With the Memory limit still set to 640mb, I tried uploading five files (total size of all files combined = 5mb). All were 6000 x 4000 px in size.  The upload succeeded, and when the fg admin page reloaded this Notice was printed 10 times:

Notice: A non well formed numeric value encountered in G:\MVP\WB-Portable 71\root\thewateringcan1.3.3\modules\responsiveFG\class\class.upload.php on line 2720

I changed the memory limit back to 128mb and tried uploading a single 1.3mb file (6000 x 4000 px dimension).  The upload failed, and I got this report:
fg 2

On the topic of the best practice of resizing photos before upload - trust me, I know.  But I can't control the actions or change the mindset of my clients.

Fußzeile des Forums

up