WBCE CMS Forum

WBCE CMS – Way Better Content Editing.

Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 14.04.2018 04:57:30

losttrip
Mitglied

Teasers Help File English Translation

I am really impressed with the usability of this module.  Hats off to chio for the contribution.

In an effort to understand the settings a bit more (they are for the most part very self-explanatory), I have translated the help.html file (there are no EN or DE language files).  I'm not sure if this translation would be of interest, even just to perhaps tag onto the end of the existing German file, so that English users might be able to enjoy the module more.  I would also gladly add this translation to the help.php file, IF the developer would be interested.  Otherwise, I will simply use it for my own reference.

I am having a bit of trouble with one translation.

Kleinere Aktionen wie ändern von „Active“ und „Style“ werden sofort gespeichert. Die Schalter sind nicht verfügbar, wenn andere Änderungen nicht gespeichert sind.

Translates to:

Smaller actions like changing "Active" and "Style" are saved immediately. The switches are not available if other changes are not saved.

But from my testing, I am not sure this is an accurate description.  When editing in the fronted, if I change the select buttons for "Classes" (I assume this is what is meant by "styles") I do see the changes displayed, but that are not "saved immediately" (not on my page, at least).  So, it leads me to think a better translation would be something like:

Smaller actions like changing "Active" and "Style" are displayed immediately. The changes will not be permanent unless saved.

But, I am not sure what is meant by 'changing "Active"' in this respect then.  What is "Active"?  I can't find any other real time changes that display immediately.

Also, I do see the help.php file displayed in the backend when I click "Show" beside "Help/Info".  But when I click the "Help/Info" link in the frontend edit, nothing happens.
(edit: I checked the console and I get a "ReferenceError: WB_URL is not defined" error pointing to admin.js line 411:

help = '<iframe id="tsrs_help" class="tsrs_help_frame"  scrolling="auto"  src="'+WB_URL+'/modules/'+tsrs_moddir+'/languages/help.php"></iframe>';

Could my issue be associated with working locally, and/or with shorturl?

I see the little pencil icon in the top right of the frontend images in teaser mode.  I assume they are supposed to activate editing of the text, as mentioned in this rough translation of the Help file:

Even title / text can be edited directly in the frontend. Due to incompatibilities of the browser, however, double line breaks are deleted when saving, therefore no blank lines are possible. You can use from any source, when saving everything is cleaned up.

But when I click these icons nothing happens except I get a hash # at the end of the URL in the address bar.

Finally, and this is a very specific issue to users who might be using the framework like Zurb Foundation, like the site I am currently testing on does.  Teasers has two classes for the "Settings" form section - "tsrs_settings teaser" and "tsrs_settings slider".  And because Zurb Foundation 6 for Sites has a .slider class built in, and that class has a height of 0.5rem, the Settings are not visible in the frontend when slider is selected.  The backend is fine, because Foundation is not loaded there.  It does not appear that the Teasers module currently uses the "teaser" or "slider" class for these forms at the moment, is there a future intended purpose for them.  Anyway, I have worked around it, but wanted to point it out in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

Perhaps this is all just part of the ongoing development, which I applaud.  I just wanted to check.

Beitrag geändert von losttrip (14.04.2018 05:05:17)

#2 14.04.2018 08:02:38

florian
Administrator

Re: Teasers Help File English Translation

And again it's (on) me to answer...

The module is as far as I know not under development any longer.

It's not really coded in multiple languages, so this would need an as heavy rework as the RFG to get a clean german OR english UI and not this german / english mixture as now.
To add the english explanation the easyiest way is indeed to tackle it above the german text and set anchors to the starts of the english / german text. Otherwise, the help implementation in the edit.php and in the admin.js would have to be changed.

The translation/description about smaller changes is right. Please notice that you have to install the module "Global Uploads" too, otherwise the module does not work properly and there are missing icons/functions in the edit view (see attached image). The changes one can apply by hitting the icons which only shine up when Global Uploads is installed are indeed saved immediately.

About the WB_URL issue - this appears when register_frontend_modfiles('jquery') is not used in the template head. There might be good reasons for this, i.e. loading a certain jQuery version via CDN, but in this case you have to set some often needed Javascript variables manually by adding the following lines to the head of the index.php of your template:

<script type="text/javascript">
var URL = '<?php echo WB_URL; ?>';
var WB_URL = '<?php echo WB_URL; ?>';
var TEMPLATE_DIR = '<?php echo TEMPLATE_DIR; ?>';
</script>

Thanks for the hint about the Zurb fundation issue, that's the hazzle, if class identifiers are too generic. But since the Teasers script environment with all this fancy CSS and jquery stuff is really complex, I won't change anything there. If you work with a big framework like Zurb, you do not need the Teasers module actually, I'm sure the Zurb FW has its own teasers which can be applied to WBCE for example with the Itemz module.

Beitrag geändert von florian (14.04.2018 08:05:45)

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#3 14.04.2018 22:15:28

losttrip
Mitglied

Thank you for the reply Florian.   Are you feeling overwhelmed?

Can you please elaborate on what is meant by:

Die Schalter sind nicht verfügbar, wenn andere Änderungen nicht gespeichert sind.

The English translation:

The switches are not available if other changes are not saved.

is not clear to me.

I also need clarification on this:

Bilder-Upload: Dringend empfohlen sind JPG mit einer Mindestbreite von 1200 Pixel.
Kleinere Bilder lassen sich derzeit uU. nicht beschneiden oder haben falsche Proportionen. Wir arbeiten dran.

It translates to:

Image Upload: Highly recommend JPG with a minimum width of 1200 pixels. Smaller dimension images can be used. do not prune or have wrong proportions. We are working on it.

I am not sure what is meant by:

do not prune or have wrong proportions.

The module is as far as I know not under development any longer.

This seems to be the case with many modules in WBCE (and WB).  Is there a particular reason?  It feels a little ominous.  I'm not complaining, as I know everyone has busy lives.  I am just concerned that a CMS without ongoing development of it's modules is a shaky prospect.

I did have Global Uploads installed.  But as you noted, this site is not using register_frontend_modfiles('jquery') as the foundation jquery is used.

Thank you for the explanation about the needed code when not using register_frontend_modfiles('jquery')
I added that code to my head and all the icons now appear and full functionality is there.

I do not know foundation all that thoroughly, but other than "cards", I am not sure what would function like teasers... but for a client managed site, teasers felt like a great all-in-one fit for a portfolio style page.  Maybe I need to look more broadly.

I'll finish up the translation... if only because I've come this far.

Beitrag geändert von losttrip (15.04.2018 02:35:42)

#4 15.04.2018 06:56:55

florian
Administrator

I'm not overwhelmed but overstrained, I do not use the Teasers module and I do not know in detail how the module works. So I can only guess.
To be honest, since it has only few in common with a typical WBCE module, I do not like the module very much neither.

The switches are not available if other changes are not saved.

When you click on the "Toggle Settings" button and change for example the classes, the round buttons to change f. ex. the image/text alignment disappear and do not shine up until the changes are saved. I don't know why this is done like this.

Image Upload: Highly recommend JPG with a minimum width of 1200 pixels. Smaller dimension images can be used. do not prune or have wrong proportions. We are working on it.

"Smaller dimension images can be used. " should read "Smaller dimension images should not be used. "
The module has a built-in mechanism to crop the images, and they become blurry or whatever if they are too small or have the wrong aspect ratio.
Just remove the "We are working on it".

The module is as far as I know not under development any longer. This seems to be the case with many modules in WBCE (and WB).  Is there a particular reason?

No.

I am just concerned that a CMS without ongoing development of it's modules is a shaky prospect.

That's basically right, but there is development (at least support / bugfixing) of modules, also where the former provider has stopped support.

Beitrag geändert von florian (15.04.2018 06:59:22)

Code allein macht nicht glücklich. Jetzt spenden!

#5 17.04.2018 17:48:46

grindmobil
Gast

Hi Losttrip!
I am the Developer of teasers.
Teasers ist a "Proof of concept" for global upload, a Kind of Test Module.
And teasers is a try, to leave the way a typical wbce-module has to Work, It is inspired by the way this works in Facebook, especially with Smartphones.

There are some problems in development currently, my skills arent enough. But maybe there comes help one day, and then development will Go on.

(Sorry for the lots of mistakes, Smartphone with German correction)

#6 17.04.2018 17:57:13

losttrip
Mitglied

Thanks for the reply.  I really enjoyed playing with this module, and am excited about the future possibilities.  I am now trying other modules to achieve my goals (responsive portfolio of website work, with image (lightbox), title, short description and link) like your Itemz and OFA.  Some modules are too limited, while others seem to be overkill.

If interested, I have added an English Translation to the bottom of your Original language files, with an anchor link at the top.  Teasers version 0.5.1
I hope you don't mind.

Hope this helps.

Beitrag geändert von losttrip (17.04.2018 17:58:39)

#7 17.04.2018 17:59:06

losttrip
Mitglied

...and the html version

Fußzeile des Forums

up